Friday 10 March 2017

Adventure with the duck eggs

Found this that I forgot to post this summer.

Since we moved in 4 years ago we have had a duck living out back by the wood pile.  This year the wood duck took up living in one of our spruce trees. It made a nest about 12 feet up. She would always squawk and fly away when we walked near that tree into the farmers field we back on to but always came back. A few days ago I was out doing yard work and noticed there were duck eggs all on the ground. At first glance I noticed 6 and they looked fine. I called muffin and he suggested trying to put them back. My father in law also happened to call which was lucky cause he knows a lot about birds and animals. With being involved with a bird sanctuary for years. I also called a local wild life reserve help line. All 3 said to put them back. But even with a latter I wasn't tall enough so I gathered that eggs and laid them in a towel tell muffin got home to help put them back. In doing so I found one egg didn't make it 😕  When muffin came home we found an egg I missed and attempted to put them back but when he got up there we noticed a huge hole in the nest. I called the help line again and told them this and also that the mom hand not been around which was unusual. They said that they might be dead from the fall and not being nested with mom for so long. But to put the in a shallow plastic container in the nest. So that's what we did. Mom still hasn't been back so it's likely the eggs won't hatch even if they are ok from the fall. We are just such animals lovers that we wanted to try everything possible to give them a chance of survival. Not gonna lie I'm pretty sad they won't make it. I was looking forward to having little ducks around.

No comments:

Post a Comment