Friday 13 May 2016

May is celiac awareness month

may is a very important month to me. Not only is it my muffins birthday but it's also celiac awareness month. Being diagnosed with celiac changed my life. Not only because I have to eat gluten free but because I was sick my whole life. I done remember not being sick or food not making me horribly ill. What a lot of people don't know is that some people don't have any symptoms with celiac and other people like me who don't have just the stomach issues but have a lot of the other issues with skin, memory and many many more. The only treatment for celiac disease is a gluten free diet and not as simple as just not eating bread gluten is hidden in many places from dental floss, make up, sauces and salad dressings to name a few. You have to be careful and read labels of everything. Not even just that you need to worry about cross contamination and one crumb can make someone like me sick for days. Not only that it also causes damage to the body. Untreated celiac disease is actually very serious and getting contaminated or not eating gluten free can lead to a lot more health issues. Please try and be understanding. Its hard enough with out people making fun of us of acting like we are being to dramatic about it. If we say we can't eat it cause it was on a plate with gluten items. We know our body and disease better then anyone else. Don't tell us it will be fine and pressure us to still eat it and make us feel bad. It's hard enough to eat out with the worry of what if we get glutened being embarrassed, having to defend our self or made fun of all adds a lot more stress and anxiety. Please take time to listen and understand. And if you want to be supportive doing research and reading up on a condition a friend or loved one has is one of the best things you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment