Thursday 17 March 2016

journey into fermented foods and drinks

While I start my seeds and wait for the snow to melt so I can get out in the garden I have been doing a lot of reading on fermented food and the benefits of them. As someone who suffers from multiple digestion issues and diseases probiotics  and digestive enzymes are a must. They help but I still have a lot of issues even with taking them. In finding out fermented foods are good for digestion, healing the gut and are loaded with probiotics  it only seemed natural that I gave them a try. I love sauerkraut So I figured I would start there. I read up on it and realise how easy it was to do I don't know why didn't I try this sooner! So I went to work chopping cabbage and making my sauerkraut. It's now sitting fermenting on my counter. Next batch I wanna add carrots, beets and possibly apple and fennel. The possibilities are end less with fermented veggies specially once it's farmers market season and my garden starts producing. As long as moxxi doesn't eat all my crops and all the blossoms like last year!

Next I am thinking of either making kimchi and or kombucha. They both interest me. I bought what I need to make the scoby to for kombucha. So I might do that this week. Have any of you had experience with fermented food or beverages? If so what? Do you have a recipe you like the best? What other things do you like you do and make around the house?

No comments:

Post a Comment